Friday, February 11, 2011

Tequila


Posted by PicasaAt one of our Friends get togethers the subject of tequila came up. I mentioned that our landlord had a special place that he went, about a 45 minute drive from home and got a jug of it at a great price every once in awhile. Gary piped up and said that there was an older Mexican woman in his Riberas neighborhood who did the same thing. This was her "retirement" she told him. She had a connection in Tequila (the town) who would bring her down a cask to her home. The neighbors would knock on her door in the evening and ask to buy some, sort of like in the series "The Waltons" where neighbors would go to the elderly sisters' home and buy some of "the recipe". Gary said it was about 3 or 4 liters for 250 pesos. That's a deal! We asked Gary if the tequila was any good. He said yes! enthusiastically and that he "knew" tequila. Three of us said that the next time he went to buy some, to get some for us! 
It was a few weeks and Gary announced that he had our stuff. We met him at one of our breakfasts and picked it up before heading out. It didn't look like 3-4 liters, it isn't, it's about 2. I poured myself a little straight, smooth I thought at first, especially in comparison to Cuervo Gold, the only kind Carole and I had ever tasted. I sipped a little more...smooth, uh yeah, no...watered down was more like it! I checked with the sisters who confirmed the obvious, it was weak! That old Mexican woman was certainly maximizing her resources! Gary "knowing" tequila, with all due respect to one of our group, BS! The sisters and I never said anything to Gary so as not to embarrass him. The jug sits in the bottom of a cabinet, don't know what to really do with it. We did learn one thing, to find a better brand of tequila! Cuervo Gold just doesn't cut it anymore.



No comments:

Post a Comment