Thursday, December 23, 2010

I'm a South Dakotan

Well...not really. I just received my South Dakota license plates for our 2008 Ford Escape. Why, you may ask, registration is cheaper. My AZ fees paid in Sept. when I bought it used were $238.43. I know, i just paid them again, but the cost was $54.00 for a year! I think that SD is among the cheapest in the nation when it comes to car registration fees, there is no smog testing required and the whole thing was handled with web form printouts and snail mail. I heard a rumor that SD was considering stopping this practice, which is why I jumped on it when I heard about it.

There are So Many SD license plates here. At first i thought, wow, South Dakotans are retiring here in droves...now I know. The clerk in Clay County, SD quipped to the guy who was doing this for me, "I think that we have licensed more cars in Mexico than there are cars in Clay County!" What a nice reliable revenue stream for Clay County without the increase in infrastructure use or an increase in street traffic. I also get two license plates! It's a big deal here because if your traveling a distance here on the highways, the Federales will ALWAYS stop a vehicle coming toward them with no license plate as they try to thwart any kind of drug/guns running. I was stopped twice on my drive down from the states to Chapala. The black uniforms and automatic weapon in their hands kind of intimidates me...

No comments:

Post a Comment