Today is Wednesday and is the day that Teresa, our housekeeper, comes and does her sweeping, dusting, mopping etc. She's a sweet 30ish young married woman. She lives in a small village nearby which is about 5 minutes by bus/car. Teresa speaks and understands very very little English. Watching and listening to Carole trying to communicate with Teresa in English is a hoot!
I was noodling around our email folders and came across that wonderful video taken at the Amsterdam train station when a flash mob slowly appears and does the obviously choreographed dance routine to the jazzed up version of the Do Re Mi song with Julie Andrews. I was pretty sure that Teresa had never seen it and I asked her to sit down and watch it. I've got this larger monitor plugged into my computer and plugged in the external speakers. I played the video.
I stood back by the sink and let Teresa see it by herself. She sat quietly and viewed it without any outward reaction or comment. I came back and sat next to her and asked her if she liked it. She was polite and said that she did and then smiled. Looking at her face I sensed she was wondering as if this was a big deal, and was she supposed to "get" something out of it. I asked her if she recognized the music. She said no. I was a little more than surprised at her response. I quickly went to the Google translator on line. I typed in what the song was and related it to the movie...she was clueless. Hmmm, it hadn't occurred to me that she had never seen the movie OR even heard the song. Stupid me. I just looked and I don't even own the DVD! How is that possible!? I think I'll buy one and let her see it.
I guess I'd better see if she has a DVD player too...
No comments:
Post a Comment